Thursday 30 May 2013

Why I refuse to TOLERATE GAY and MUSLIM people. #2

Ok, if you didn't read part 1 of this blog you probs need to, it is directly below this one. Otherwise, read on ...

According to the dictates of the God of TOLERATION, I as a Christian must be tolerant toward Gays and Muslims.

In practise what that means is, I must treat them equal in all areas of life. I must affirm their rights to believe and do as they choose and be who they are, and I must affirm what they do and what they believe, as equally good and valid as what I do and believe.

Well, I agree with some of that. I certainly do affirm their rights to choose what they believe and do, but I do not affirm that what they believe, and what they choose and do is equally valid as what I believe and do as a follower of Jesus.

Why do I say that? Well first consider Muslims and then Gay people.

Muslims
Anyone can choose to be a Muslim, or Sikh or anything else. I affirm people's right to choose and be what they want. But, what Muslims believe and teach are supposed to be 'Truth Statements'. In other words, they claim to teach what is true. 

This is the same for Christians. However, the two are not compatible. Either one is true and the other false, or both are false. What's more, Truth Statements are falsifiable, that is, they can be tested and assessed to see if they are true or not.  A good example would be that Muslims claim that Jesus was not crucified. Christians claim He was. The fact is, both cannot be right and so both are not equally valid. All the available evidence points to the clear conclusion that Jesus died on the cross. Therefore, what Muslims believe on this point is not equally valid at all. Therefore, I am right to say, what they believe is not equally valid.

Gay People
As a Christian, the Bible is my authority because, in its entirity, it contains the Revelation of God Himself. According to the Bible God made man for woman and woman for man. God designed Marriage as a single man and a single woman coming together as one, in exclusive covenant, life-long relationship. God, according to the Bible did not make man for man or woman for woman. People who claim He did, do not get that from the Bible, but base their view on some other revelation of God or their own personal opinion and conviction.

But as a Christian I am bound to the teaching of scripture, being persuaded that it really does contain the revelation of God Himself and therefore is above all other forms of authority.

Therefore, although I affirm a persons right to enter into gay relationships, I do not affirm sexual activity between people of the same sex as 'good' in the sight of God because according to the Bible it is not good in His sight and never could be. So basically, I have to choose, do I go with the biblical revelation of God or with popular opinion? I choose God.

Does this all make me xenophobic (fear of other cultures, people groups etc) or homophobic? I don't think so. There's a little more to be said before people judge me, otherwise I will have been prejudged! Leave judgement until after my 3rd and final blog on the subject, tune in tomoz.

No comments:

Post a Comment