Wednesday 12 November 2014

Are you too proud to acknowledge JESUS?

Psalm 91[2] I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress, 
my God, in whom I trust.”

In 1992 I did a mission at Glastonbury festival. I will never forget speaking to one spaced out couple. They said to me, "Christian people are weak, that is why they are Christians, their faith is a crutch to help them through because they cannot make it alone". 

They were quite right, I cannot imagine life without Jesus. I am very proud to say of Him, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust".

But here is the truth: EVERYONE is weak! My newfound friends at Glastonbury soon found out they were weak. Weak and vulnerable, far more vulnerable than me.

As we talked it became clear that their lives, their joy and happiness, meaning and purpose was all bound up in each other. As we talked it became clear to them and to me that they were a crutch to each other. If anything happened to any one of them they would be utterly devastated.  But something will happen. Even if they are faithful all their days and grow in love, death will eventually come and mercilessly rip them apart, killing one and devastating the other - and that is the very best they can hope for!

In the end that is true for everyone. No-one is self sufficient. No-one is strong. Those who think they are, are deluded. Everybody needs somebody otherwise life becomes almost unbearable. But we will all find that if, ultimately we rely on ourselves or other people, then when faced with the ultimate challenges of life THEY WILL FAIL US. Our fitness and health may give us the edge over a cancer, our loved ones may give us strength to fight another day, doctors and nurses may be able to "save us", but not ultimately. Ultimately they will all come to the end of them selves and will be powerless against the relentless enemy of life and relationships - DEATH!

Ultimately JESUS does not fail! He alone is ULTIMATELY sufficient, trustworthy, reliable, dependable and able to save - even from death because He alone has conquered death.

Christians have the same kind of people everyone else has, the difference is they know that none of those people will help an iota when confronted with the ultimate realities of death and the judgement that will follow. Only JESUS will stand, and as a follower, I and every believer will stand in Him!

So Christian, be proud to be a follower of Jesus. Be proud and unashamed to confess Him! Do not believe the propaganda that would make you feel embarrassed. Of course it is easier to dutifully follow the crowd like everyone else, gullibly believing what everyone else believes, and why do they believe what they believe?  Because what they believe is true? No! But just because they are told to believe by the PC police, or the biased Atheist Scientists or the school teacher or the politicians or "everyone else" or others from the so-called "establishment" who know nothing about God and Jesus.  They are the ignorant ones, they have never found out about God and Jesus, believing them is the easy option. 

But remember Jesus said ...

Matthew 10:[32] “Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. [33] But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.

On that great and glorious day, nothing else will matter to us except that JESUS acknowledges us as His own. Everything will depend upon Him acknowledging us and there can be nothing more terrifying than the utter hopelessness of being disowned forever by JESUS. I don't want that for myself, for you or anyone.

Hold your head high and proudly say of HIM,  “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”

No comments:

Post a Comment